Ministries of St. John's
Planning to be married? Congratulations! We share your joy and wish you God's blessing for your marriage.
Wedding dates are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. Be certain you have arranged a date with the church before you make arrangements for other elements of your wedding celebration. Contact the church office by phone at 715-778-5935.
Please click on the link below to complete a marriage information form and turn it into the church office. You will also need to download the facility usage agreement below, where costs of a wedding are listed, read it through and turn it into the office with a $100 non-refundable deposit.
Frequently Asked Questions About Weddings
How many guests can be seated in the church?
200 in the sanctuary, with the option of seating 100 more in the narthex
Is there a charge for the use of the church?
Fees are charged to compensate the congregation for facility and utility costs. Look at the facility use agreement to see what the fees are.
Are there facilities for a reception at the church?
Yes, but additional Custodial and additional usage fees apply
Is it necessary to be a Lutheran or a member of St. John's to be married at the church?
We are open to discussing a marriage service for those who are not members or who are not Lutherans. However, there are extra fees for non-member weddings.
Can I get the member discount for my wedding if I am a former member or a family member is a member?
No, to get the member discount you have to be a current active member of St. John's. This means you have attended worship in the past year, took communion and contributed financially.
Is a pre-marriage preparation program required?
It is. Most couples participate in a day-long seminar led by Lutheran Social Services staff. Call or email the church office to obtain a registration form. In some cases, the Prepare/Enrich pre-marriage instrument is used. In either case, couples will be asked to bear the cost of their pre marriage preparation.
May another pastor officiate at my wedding service?
The Pastor is glad to welcome visiting pastors to officiate for weddings at St. John's as long as they are rostered in the ELCA or one of our partner denominations. For more information, contact the office.
Can I use a church organist or pianist to play at my wedding?
Certainly! However, you are responsible for contacting them. If you need the names and numbers of our church organists, please contact the church office.
To plan for a baptism at St. John's, download the baptismal form below and return it to the church office. The Pastor will contact to you meet with her for a baptism class if this is your first child being baptized at St. John's. If you have had previous children baptized at St. John's, you will not need to go through the baptism class again.
- Baptism: God, who is rich in mercy and love, gives us new birth into a living hope through the sacrament of baptism! It is an entrance into a life "walking wet" where we are united with all the baptized into the one body of Christ, anointed with gift of the Holy Spirit, and joined in God's mission for the life of the world (ELW p. 227). There are particular days and seasons of the church year that are particularly fitting for baptisms, though they may be scheduled outside of those times. The Pastor will meet with those interested in baptism either one on one or in a larger group to prepare for this great celebration and entrance into the Kingdom of God! Contact the church office for more information!
- Sunday School: Open to all children ages 4 (by September 1) through 6th grade. Classes are held at 9AM from September to May. Our children learn the stories in the Bible through hands-on, interactive learning utilizing different learning styles! Children come to understand Christ's love for them and their call to love one another and the world God made! Throughout the year children have the opportunity to learn about giving through their own weekly offering! Money is distributed to supporting the charity organization Compassion International and our brother Yohannes. Children also participate in the annual Christmas Program. Over the course of the year, we provide additional family activities like the Pentecost Party, Rally Day festivities, family service projects, Advent Adventure, and more!.
- Bible Presentation for Third Graders: Third graders are presented with a gift Bible from St. John's.
- First Communion: First Communion preparation is open to families who feel their child is ready. Each year, preparation includes 2 separate class sessions with the Pastor and their parents during the Lenten season. Children who attend the required sessions will receive their First Communion during the Maundy Thursday Service during Holy Week. Typically, children attend these sessions in their 5th grade year, but younger children are welcome.
- Confirmation: Confirmation is a ministry of worship, faith formation, service and fellowship for 7th-9th grade students. Students are encouraged to put their faith into action! Students help lead worship for the community and serve others through special service projects and attend summer Bible camp. It is an excellent opportunity for young people to explore and grow in their Christian faith and relationship. By using the Faith Inkubators curriculum and including adult mentors, our youth grow in their relationship to Christ, one another and the Church, and the world God made. Confirmation classes are held on Wednesday evenings during the school year from 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. Confirmation students attend classes during their 7th and 8th grade years and part of 9th grade until they are confirmed on Reformation Sunday. To register your child(ren) from confirmation, contact the Pastor at (715)778-5935.
- High School Ministry:
YOUTH GATHERING SUMMER 2018
"This Changes Everything"
An awesome opportunity next summer for all high school youth of St. John's Lutheran Church open to all current incoming 8-12th grade youth. Youth will meet for bible study, team building, service projects and more to prepare!
Dates: June 27- July 1, 2018
Where: Houston, TX
Cost: $150 due October 1, 2017 plus full participation in fund-raising efforts!
More information: Visit elca.org and go to the "Youth Gathering" tab.
It only happens once every 3 years!! More info to come!
St. John's offers multiple adult faith formation and adult forum opportunities:
1. Burgers & Big Questions: Tuesday evenings 6-7:30PM @ Sneaker's Pub through August 22, 2017. All are invited to this unique summer faith forum! We will faithfully discuss issues that are important to YOU from a faithful perspective. Come for a burger, a cold drink, or simply for the discussion and fellowship! This study is open to interested adults and high school teens. All faiths are welcome!
2. Sunday morning adult forums at 9AM during the school year
3. Bible Study: Meets weekly from September through May on Mondays at 10:00 am in the library at St. John's! Books of the Bible or topical studies occur throughout the year. We are currently discovering our own Spiritual Autobiographies, giving name to the ways God has been and is at work in our lives! All are welcome! We resume Bible Study on September 11, 2017.
Our purpose: As a community of women created in the image of God, called to discipleship in Jesus Christ, and empowered by the Holy Spirit, we commit ourselves to grow in faith, affirm our gifts, support one another in our callings, engage in ministry and action, and promote healing and wholeness in the church, the society, and the world.
- WELCA Circle and Bible Study is held the 2nd Thursday of each month at 2 pm
- Quilting workday is held every first and third Thursday of the month (Sept. – Nov.; Jan. – May) from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm in the Fellowship Hall. Everyone is encouraged to participate.
- Bingo is on a rotating schedule at 2:00 p.m. at the Spring Valley Health Care Center
The Combined Choir is made up of members from St. John's and neighboring congregations Gilman Lutheran and Spring Lake Lutheran. The choir rotates singing at all three churches and is open to anyone who has a desire to sing. No experience is necessary to enjoy good music and fellowship in this group. All you have to do is show up on Thursdays at 7:00 p.m. in the St. John's sanctuary for rehearsal. This choir will sing one Sunday a month at St. John's Lutheran as well as one Sunday a month at Gilman and Spring Lake Lutheran and also for special services.